May 11, 2011

The Roar by Emma Clayton


Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Dystopian / Science Fiction

Worldcat Summary: 
In an overpopulated world where all signs of nature have been obliterated and a wall has been erected to keep out plague-ridden animals, twelve-year-old Mika refuses to believe that his twin sister was killed after being abducted, and continues to search for her in spite of the dangers he faces in doing so.

Bookskoetter Rating: 4/5



Bookskoetter Review: 
I decided to read this book because it was highly recommended to me - despite disliking the book cover and description.  I found it to have a fairly fast-paced, complex storyline, an intriguing protagonist, and good writing. This book reminded me a little of Orson Scott Card's book Ender's Game (although it wasn't as good).  I was not satisfied with the ending.  It felt rushed and did not tie up all of the loose endings.  It definitely left room for a sequel, and it appears that Emma Clayton is working on one that is to be titled, "The Whisper." Overall, I would recommend this book to dystopian and science fiction fans, and to readers who enjoy fast-paced, action-packed stories.

No comments: