May 19, 2011

Gateway Read #1: Fat Cat by Robin Brande

Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Worldcat Summary: 
Overweight teenager Catherine embarks on a high school science project in which she must emulate the ways of hominins, the earliest ancestors of human beings, by eating an all-natural diet and foregoing technology.


Bookskoetter Rating: 3/5

Bookskoetter Review: 
I had fun reading this book.  I will admit, the Worldcat summary made the book sound ridiculous, but the storyline was actually pretty enjoyable. I liked that one of the story's focuses was about eating whole grain, minimally processed foods (something I have been trying to do in my personal life). Another focus was adding exercise and other enjoyable past times instead of spending hours watching TV, talking on the phone, texting, and browsing the internet.  Aside from that, the overwhelming focus was on the character's changing self image, from self conscious and overweight to confident and healthy.  The story itself isn't terribly unique.  It takes place in a high school and features a classic (SPOILER) best-friend-becomes boyfriend love story.  While it was an enjoyable read, I found that it wasn't anything terribly special.  I would recommend it to teens that enjoy realistic fiction and are interested in healthy lifestyles.  However, I don't see this book being a Gateway winner this year (But who knows?  I haven't read the other nominees yet!).

1 comment:

Kelroy said...

Book review review: You write good reviews! They make it really easy to tell whether or not I want to read the book.