August 11, 2011

Gateway Read #11: After by Amy Efaw


Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic

Worldcat Summary: 
In complete denial that she is pregnant, straight-A student and star athlete Devon Davenport leaves her baby in the trash to die, and after the baby is discovered, Devon is accused of attempted murder.


Bookskoetter Rating: 2.5/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
First of all, I have to admit that it is possible that my not-so-high rating for this book is due to the fact that it was the third seriously depressing and serious book that I have read in a row.  The book's gory descriptions made me feel pretty nauseous, and the storyline was pretty depressing.  I'm not saying that all depressing books are bad, but I think that such books need to be balanced with the protagonist experiencing some growth and hope by the end of the book.  This book had way too little growth and hope for my taste.  Maybe that's unrealistic of me, because life doesn't always end up with growth and hope.  All of this being said, I think some readers will enjoy this book.  I do not predict it to be a Gateway award winner as the gory birth and after birth details may chase many guy readers away.    

No comments: