August 11, 2011

Gateway Read #12: If I Stay by Gayle Forman


Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic

Worldcat Summary: 
While in a coma following an automobile accident that killed her parents and younger brother, seventeen-year-old Mia, a gifted cellist, weighs whether to live with her grief or join her family in death.


Bookskoetter Rating: 4/5 (Revised.  I decided I liked it more after I thought it about it awhile!)


Bookskoetter Review: 
This is the fourth depressing book that I have read in a row.  However, even though the book deals with some heavy stuff, it is also packed full of funny, light, and hopeful memories.  I found the protagonist and her family and friends to be charming,  spunky, and interesting. I think that many students will be able to relate to the protagonist.  Even though something somewhat supernatural occurs to the protagonist throughout the story, I found it to be believable, and, oddly, realistic. I'm not sure if I see this book as being a winner this year, but I could definitely see it being a favorite of many students.

3 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

What? Only 3.5 stars? I LOVED this one! The sequel is also very good. I think this will be a favorite this year!

Alli said...

I will admit that I probably would have liked it better had I not just read three other depressing books! I almost gave it 4 stars ( :

Mrs. Corbett said...

I think it will be a very, very close second to Hate List for the Gateway win, but it could easily take 1st, too.
Kind of a Sarah Dessen book with a pinch of The Lovely Bones.