August 29, 2011

Gateway Read #15: If I Grow Up by Todd Strasser


Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic

Worldcat Summary: 
Growing up in the inner-city projects, DeShawn is reluctantly forced into the gang world by circumstances beyond his control.


Bookskoetter Rating:=3.5/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
I think that this book, which gives readers a look into the harsh reality of life in the projects, will be a good read for teens who have found themselves in more fortunate life situations.  It's easy enough for such teens to agree that joining a gang isn't a great idea.  This book forces readers to look at the way of life that practically shoves teens into joining gangs.  Aside from that message, I found the book to have a pretty good plot (although I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending).  The characters were somewhat difficult for me, a girl who has grown up in suburban America, to relate to.  However, I think that was kind of the point.  I would recommend this book to teens that aren't afraid to read a book about real-life issues.

No comments: