October 15, 2011

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver


Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic Fiction?

Worldcat Summary: 
After she dies in a car crash, teenage Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

Bookskoetter Rating: 3.5/5

Bookskoetter Review: 
I listened to this book on audio, and I have to admit that I hated it at first.  It was like Mean Girls meets Groundhog Day.  It didn't help that Sarah Drew, the person reading the audiobook, was extremely effective at voicing shallow, teen aged girls.  However, as much as I whined about this book to my family and friends, I ended up enjoying it by the end.  In fact, there were several times that I was tempted to sit out in my car in the garage just so I could listen to the story.  I think that this book will be a hit with teen girls who like a good dramatic love story.  In fact, I have already recommended this book to a student, who read it in one night (and it is a long book!) and brought it back to me the next morning raving about it.  I can definitely see it being a Gateway Award nominee next year.

1 comment:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I really enjoyed this one, but it does start out very annoying! I hope it makes the Gateway list!