September 24, 2011

Matched by Alli Condie


Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Dystopian

Worldcat Summary: 
All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?

Bookskoetter Rating: 4/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
Wow, another good book on the list of potential nominees for next year's Gateway award!  A couple of students have already highly recommended this title to me, so I sense that it may be a favorite if it makes it to the final list of nominees.  While I didn't absolutely love the book, it's story did captivate me, and I ended up reading it in it's entirety within a 24 hour period.  I found myself both relating to and rooting for the main character in the novel, who had never questioned her world until a series of events in her life began to open her eyes to injustice of the society in which she lived.  I would recommend this book to any teen who enjoys dystopian / science fiction novels, and to anyone who craves an intriguing and exciting story.

No comments: