November 22, 2011

Mistwood by Leah Cypress

Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy

Worldcat Summary: 
Brought back from the Mistwood to protect the royal family, a girl who has no memory of being a shape-shifter encounters political and magical intrigue as she struggles with her growing feelings for the prince.

Bookskoetter Rating:=2.5/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
I was really excited about reading this book, because I was in the mood for a good fantasy.  I'll be honest: I've been pretty burnt out on all of this realistic fiction.  It definitely wasn't a bad book.  In fact, I found the plot and basic storyline of Mistwood to be very interesting.  However, the plot and main character reminded me a lot of the book Fire by Kristin Cashore, which in my opinion, was much better.  The plot was not well executed.  The author could have done a better job making the storyline both meld together better and be more believable. In addition, I felt that the author did not do an effective job of helping readers relate to the protagonist.  All of that being said, I still think that many teen readers would enjoy this title, especially those that enjoy imaginative fantasies such as Fire or Graceling by Kristin Cashore.

No comments: