December 21, 2011

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Dystopian / Sci-Fi

Worldcat Summary: 
Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape. 

Bookskoetter Rating:=4/5



Bookskoetter Review: 
Yay!  Another good book! (Three in a row - wow!)  I know, I am definitely behind-the-times on reading this book, but it was worth the wait!  It is actually a current Truman Award nominee (for grades 6-8), and I have to say I did find it to be the language and dialogue to be a little less sophisticated than some of the high school novels that I have read recently.  However, the plot is face-paced, intriguing, and action-packed, and so many of my high school students have raved to me about this book that I don't think the audience is limited to middle schoolers.  This is the first in a trilogy by Dashner, followed by the Scorch Trials (which I am about halfway through!) and the Death Cure.  I would recommend this series to fans of dystopian and adventure stories, especially those that enjoyed the Hunger Games.

1 comment:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I never thought our reading tastes were that different until you started reading the award books! I really disliked this one and had to put it down. But the teens love it!