December 1, 2011

Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick

Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Worldcat Summary: 
Although seventeen-year-old Amber Appleton is homeless, living in a school bus with her unfit mother, she is a relentless optimist who visits the elderly at a nursing home, teaches English to Korean Catholic women with the use of rhythm and blues music, and befriends a solitary Vietnam veteran and his dog, but eventually she experiences one burden more than she can bear and slips into a deep depression.

Bookskoetter Rating:=2/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
I won't lie:  The way this book was written drove me completely insane!  I almost stopped reading it after the first three or four chapters!  It is written in first person from a the perspective of a teenage girl that definitely talks like a teen and frequently ends sentences with phrases such as, "Word," and "True? True."  I found the language to be completely obnoxious, but I don't know if teen readers would be quite as annoyed.  As for the storyline, it took awhile to take off, but actually ended up being okay.  I was determined to give this book a one rating at first, but try as I might, I couldn't help myself from liking and rooting for the protagonist, who was a raving optimist who found herself facing a hopeless situation.  I would recommend this to teens craving a story with a spunky and optimist twist on real-life issues.

No comments: