July 28, 2011

Gateway Read #7: The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic

Worldcat Summary: 
Thirteen-year-old Kyra has grown up in an isolated community without questioning the fact that her father has three wives and she has twenty brothers and sisters. That is, without questioning it much - if you don't count her visits to the Ironton County Mobile Library on Wheels to read forbidden books, or her secret meetings with Joshua, the boy she hopes to choose for herself instead of having a man chosen for her. But when the Prophet decrees that Kyra must marry her sixty-year-old uncle - who already has six wives - she must make a desperate choice in the face of violence and her own fears of losing her family forever.

Bookskoetter Rating: 4/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
What a heartbreaking read!  My husband wanted me to stop reading this book because it made me so sad, but I am happy (?) to say that I made it through!  Other emotions  that ran through me as I read this book: captivation, excitement, anger, disbelief, and hope. I would definitely recommend this book, especially to teens seeking a thriller that will take you through the range of human emotions.   

No comments: