July 29, 2011

Gateway Read #8: Food, Girls, and Other Things I Can't Have by Allen Zadoff

Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic

Worldcat Summary: 
Fifteen-year-old Andrew Zansky, the second fattest student at his high school, joins the varsity football team to get the attention of a new girl on whom he has a crush.

Bookskoetter Rating: 1.5/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
I'll be honest, I wasn't really into this book.  It reminded me a bit of Flash Burnout in that it was full of high school drama and provided a somewhat gross view into a high school guy's mind.  However, I found that Flash Burnout had a little more depth to it.  Basically, Andrew, the protagonist, goes from being a fat geek to a popular football player - all for a girl, who...well, I won't spoil any more.  Let's just say that the school year doesn't end up how he thinks it will.  Overall, I'm not sure I would recommend this book to many teens.  That sounds cruel, but I just wasn't very impressed. 

No comments: