August 23, 2011

Gateway Read #13: We Were Here by Matt de la Peña


Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic

Worldcat Summary: 
Haunted by the event that sentences him to time in a group home, Miguel breaks out with two unlikely companions and together they begin their journey down the California coast hoping to get to Mexico and a new


Bookskoetter Rating: 3.5/5



Bookskoetter Review: 
The first time I started this book, I apparently was not in the right state of mind to read it. I struggled through the first two chapters, left the book on my bedside table for a week, and then finally returned it to the library.  Attempt #2 at reading this book was a completely different story.  I actually enjoyed it this time, and did not experience the same struggles to get through the book.  In some ways, it reminded me of the book Muchacho by Louanne Johnson. Both books feature a teenager of Mexican descent who got into trouble for one reason or another, and who experienced a huge change in their life and attitude.  Many may dislike this book due to the large amount of foul language, but those than can get past it will find a great story. I would recommend this book to any teen that enjoys realistic fiction, and who enjoys stories that take serious issues head-on.

No comments: