September 20, 2011

Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry


Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Zombie-horror

Worldcat Summary: 
In a post-apocalyptic world where fences and border patrols guard the few people left from the zombies that have overtaken civilization, fifteen-year-old Benny Imura is finally convinced that he must follow in his older brother's footsteps and become a bounty hunter.

Bookskoetter Rating:=4.5/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
After reading books like, "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," and seeing related spoof/mash-up titles, I have come to associate zombie books with humor. To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect with this book (the cover doesn't look very funny!).  I found myself pleasantly surprised to tell students, friends, and family that this book is "actually pretty good!"  I found myself captivated by the story of Benny Imura, who lives in a fenced-in community about 14 years after the zombie-apocalypse that killed his parents, along with most of the modern world.  The story is well-written, exciting, and kept me turning the pages on the edge of my seat the entire time.  I would definitely recommend this book to any teen looking for a page-turning thriller, and definitely to any teen who likes zombies!  Let's hope that this makes it to next year's Gateway Award nominees!  I think it would definitely be a favorite!

No comments: