December 20, 2011

Sea by Heidi Kling

Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Realistic fiction

Worldcat Summary: 
Despite recurring nightmares about her mother's death and her own fear of flying, fifteen-year-old Sienna accepts her father's birthday gift to fly to Indonesia with his team of disaster relief workers to help victims of a recent tsunami, never suspecting that this experience will change her life forever.

Bookskoetter Rating:=2.5/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
Those who have been reading my reviews for awhile know that I am not a huge fan of realistic fiction, especially when the plot is centered on a love story.  Therefore, it is quite natural for me to rate this novel a little lower than it probably deserves.  The story is actually pretty interesting.  It is full of Indonesian cultural tidbits, and reminds me of the culture shock that I experienced when I studied abroad in college.  It does feature a fairly mushy love story, is a bit dramatic, and has an ending that ties up a little too nicely.  Nevertheless, I would recommend this novel to teens who enjoy realistic fiction with love, multiculturalism, and drama.

No comments: