June 19, 2011

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy

Worldcat Summary: 
In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.

Bookskoetter Rating: 4/5


Bookskoetter Review: 
What a great read!  I enjoyed this book almost as much as it's companion, Fire (reviewed here), which takes place in the same world, but before the events that take place in Graceling. I was happy to discover that you can read the two books in any order, although most people that I have talked to read Graceling first. Graceling was the runner up for the Gateway award for the 2010-2011 school year (but honestly, who could beat The Hunger Games?).  I enjoyed the story, although I found it to be a little slow during some parts.  It had just the right combination of conflict, action, and love, and the heroine, Katsa, is very likeable.  I found myself intrigued by her story from the very beginning.  I would recommend Graceling to anyone who enjoys fantasy, and certainly to anyone who read and loved, Fire.

No comments: